margin-top: 28px; The Unlikely Times: Big surprise from Cuba

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Big surprise from Cuba

I'm not usually impressed by unlikely news with human causes. After all, people will do crazy things just to get noticed, so it's hardly noticeable when someone does something crazy. But the hallmark of good "unlikely news" is that it makes me stop, assume I heard wrong, and double check. Even better if I still don't believe it and have to check again.

Here's one from the department of "things I never thought I'd hear on the news":

Fidel Castro retired.

Huh?

For the heap of news stories, here's Google News.

I'm not sure just why it hit me from so far in left field. Part of the surprise is that he has lived to be 81, considering the forces that have been opposed to him. While retiring and letting his brother (Raul, age 76) take over is a sound decision, for as long as I've been alive it seemed that only a revolution could replace him. So, I really don't know what to say, other than point out how unlikely it all seems -- although nothing lasts forever, few things have been as permanent, at least in modern politics. 81 years is nothing to a block of sandstone, but for a revolutionary? Weird.

No comments: